Thursday, February 14, 2008

hate still soars



I took this picture over a year ago. And when I see it, sometimes I think to myself, "Should I really have taken this?" or maybe "Is this offensive?"

The answer to both those questions is, yes.

It is offensive. Time may be able to heal all wounds, but it certainly can't make any idiot who believes in what this symbol means smarter. As far as if I should have taken it...well, the answer there is yes as well. Hate brews stronger when it's kept out of the mainstream. It has to be confronted. It has to be told, "you there, I SEE WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND I DON'T LIKE IT ONE BIT."

Since the writer's strike (yay for an end, finally!) I've been watching lots of tv shows I never had time for. And renting lots of movies I haven't seen. The writer's strike gave me Friday Night Lights (please NBC, don't take it away). And it also gave me Band of Brothers. A mini-series released in 2001 on the experiences of E Company ("Easy Company") of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, U.S. 101st Airborne Division. It chronicles their time in WWII, from training, to D-Day to their final assignments, including the liberation of a concentration camp.

I guess it's easy to forget about happenings of the past, especially when so much is happening in our present. But sometimes, we have to be reminded that hate still soars, but that we can soar above it.