Thursday, February 28, 2008

the bridge from below



Here's a shot of the bridge over to Robert Moses from below. Summer isn't the only time to visit the beach, you know. I guess I feel so connected to the beach and the ocean and all things water related because I grew up on Long Island, though it's hard to pinpoint exactly why.

This week I bought a new (used) car, and I'm having some minor repairs done to it. The one thing I said this week in my frustration was that "my car hasn't even met the beach yet." I don't know if that's a quirk I alone have, but there's something about "introducing" a new piece of my life, to other parts that I feel are so important to me, that I love.

For example - with a new car, I must drive to the beach. I must also drive past places I once haunted - The North Babylon Annex (site of various musicals), my old house on Herman Avenue, the beach, and a ceremonial drive on DPA (not to race, just to visit), past a few friends houses. Some of our parents have sold our homes, and we all live in different places now, but it's nice to know that this new car and piece of my life has seen the way to the old pieces.