Monday, September 10, 2007

My head's a balloon...inflating with the altitude



A few weeks ago I visited the Metro New York Balloon and Music Festival. It was truly a site to see. Arriving early in the morning (around 6:30am) we set up our viewing area by grabbing some folding chairs from a nearby food tent and watched as the teams set up their respective balloons. It was awesome to watch a lump of fabric become something like a barn, or a space shuttle, or a dog, or a breast cancer ribbon, or the Statue of Liberty.

It was also great for people watching. There were tons of families with kids, and also tons of Photographers. Which made for some great gear-watching too. I saw lenses the size of Texas! I got total lens envy. One photographer spotted me staring at him while he changed from one ginormous lens to an even bigger one, and chuckled to himself while I wiped the drool from my chin.

While we were leaving some balloons from another takeoff site were landing at the festival site. It was great to watch these things in action, considering they go by the wind and heat alone. Made me think of Dorothy and OZ.