Monday, August 27, 2007

What I did on my Summer Vacation, by Monica Freisem (age 24)

While I don't ever remember having to write an essay entitled: What I did on my Summer Vacation, the idea of one has been portrayed in movies and media since...well...forever. Maybe my teacher friends (and relatives) can vouch for its existence. Or maybe I wrote it during my second grade school year, most of which I have blocked out, due to an abnormally evil teacher whose name shall remain anonymous, despite the fact that he lives on the same street as some family members of mine.

Anyway, let us pretend for a moment that you dear reader, are the teacher and that I am the student. Except, ignore my bad grammar, spelling and rampant use of commas - and just focus on the facts ma'am. The hard, summer vacation facts.

I went to Italy. And it was glorious. Here now, is a small recap of the picture taking spectacle that was my vacation...

(Click to enlarge any of the photos)

Scooters are everywhere. And they are cute. And they make cute noises. And I want one really, really badly.

The streets in Rome come alive at night with the sounds of people eating in outdoor restaurants and Piazzas. This was on our walk home from our restaurant in Rome, just blocks away from the Pantheon.


Walking through the Colosseum was a truly amazing experience. To walk through a building that has seen so much history, and has remained standing through literally - thousands of years was simply mind boggling.


The Vatican was another once in a lifetime event. Not that I'll never go back, but NOTHING can possibly top walking into St Peter's and witnessing the mingling of Art and Faith in such a harmonious way. I was moved to tears at seeing the Pieta in person, after years of seeing it in books. And to think that Michaelangelo completed it when he was 25 years old! Truly a wondrous feat.


Italian for "Old Bridge," The Ponte Vecchio is host to shops and tourists, lovers and friends and at night...really great Beatles, Eagles and U2 cover singers. These two guys gave a show both nights that we were in Florence. And both nights they gave the group of tourists something they would never forget. We loved their rendition of "No Woman, No Cry."

The Duomo. Not quite sure what to say about it. Except that it is amazing. And Florence is amazing.

We visited San Marino, the oldest Republic in Italy. Coolest thing about San Marino (aside from the amazing views from the top of the mountain) is that their calendars start from the year 301...but only on paper. So, if you bring your passport (we didn't) you can get a stamp, and feel like a true Marty McFly.

Our Day in San Marino started out beautiful, but soon there were some threatening clouds. It never really rained on us, just a few drops here and there. We managed to stay completely dry. But the clouds were really something to see, especially on the mountaintop.


Having only spent one day in Venice I can say only this: I have to go back. I loved it. It was a great vibe, once you got away from the intense tourist crowds. But the gondolas are a true site to see and a city build on water is exactly what it is. Truly Spectacular.

To see the rest of my pictures from Italy, you can click here.