Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Marriage Tango


Every once and a while, a friend of mine will ask me to take some photos for them. I'm happy to oblige, as long as our schedules work out and they buy me food or a beer (or two or three). It's fun to be a part of people's lives. And I like trying new things. A few weeks ago I took some pictures for my good friend Carolanne and her fiance Michael. They're getting married this summer and they wanted a photo to go with their invitation.

I've done headshots and taken production photos and photos of kids and families, but I've never taken Engagement/Wedding pictures. I'm way too intimidated to take on a whole wedding myself, but I think I might actually be good at it.

I scoured Flickr for some inspiration, and to see what kind of new things photographers are doing for engagement photos. After many many viewings of photos just like this one, I decided I wanted to try it out. We had a great day for shooting (overcast) which helps cast even light. I would have preferred sun (even just for the heat factor), but it appeared every once and a while. I had to do a tad bit of retouching too to get the final look.

Carolanne and Michael were really great sports about trying any and everything I wanted to do. They provided a lot of their own input too, and they finally chose the photo they'll use (I guess you'll have to be invited to the wedding to see which one!).

It was a pleasure taking their photos. I only hope their wedding photographer is as nice as I am...